Sunday, March 29, 2015


Cherry Blossoms







Cherry Blossoms.

When spring in Japan arrives, one tree that greets and marks the spring time is the Sakura or the Cherry Blossom in English term. Many people enjoy watching the full bloom as well as the falling down of petals. We call it " Hanami " in Japanese. These trees bloom only for around 2 weeks, so if the weather is very fine, you cannot resist to go outside and take a look and take a picture of it or even invite your friends to do Hanami. 

Hanami is a party under the Sakura trees, where people bring lunch boxes or snacks and eat, drink and even do karaoke. It is a picnic under the cherry blossom tree. Most famous spots in Japan for Hanami are very crowded for people from companies, schools, church or neighbours go out and enjoy the tree and the weather. 

Me, as a foreigner, I love this tree so much. It makes me excited to see the gradual process from budding to blooming to falling of petals to new sprout leaves.  I go out for Hanami, everyday for almost 2 weeks just to see and enjoy the creation of God with my family and friends. 

The perfect Hanami experiences for me:

1. A quiet place alone, reflecting its beauty , and the message of the tree related to the meaning of life.
2. Trees near the river or pond where i can see the reflection of the trees and its flowers.
3. Early morning after rain, walking with my daughter especially the falling of petals phase, because you walk on the road full of petals. It is like Paradise to me.
4. Taking pictures of different kinds of Sakura with or without my daughter or husband.
5. Go out for biking under the trees along the Shinkansen Railway is fun too.
6. During the sunset, chatting with good friends whom I can share deeper things about God and nature and its meaning.
7. Sakura illumination walk with family.  Seeing dark blue sky as a background of the pink flowers as the object in taking pictures.

My meaning for Sakura.

Sakura Tree is like LIFE. It has the beginning and the end, the heights and lows, and the sweetness and bitterness. The stages of life. Above all the shortness of life itself.

Everytime I see the Sakura tree, it cheers my heart that life is beautiful and at the same time it agitates my soul to live intentionally, fruitfully and fully bloom for life is short. 
It always brings me back to the scriptures in the bible says, 

" Psalm 103:15-16 New American Standard Bible (NASB) )
As for man, his days are like grass; As a flower of the field, so he flourishes. When the wind has passed over it, it is no more, and its place acknowledges it no longer."

It made me thankful to God that He chose me from the very beginning to live a full life with Jesus Christ. A chance to bring back the glory to Him and a moment to enjoy its pleasures, though life is short. 

But even how fleeting our life is, we are called to bloom to the fullest and to make a difference so that when our time is up, we can leave a legacy that will imprint to the next generation. So whenever I see the Sakura, I am thankful to God for this reason why He created this flower tree.

Now, still searching for new meanings and new ideas how to spend and where to spend Hanami in Japan. I will be showing you the lovely spots to enjoy Hanami to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment